VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MOGOandTicToc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to scan my 2001 VW BEETLE CPU but unsuccessful. Have used the Torque app with Bluetooth dongle and have gone to Auto Zone and their scanner couldn't connect to the CPU either. However, my Bluetooth OBD2 does work with my 2001 VW JETTA. I've checked the fuses. I've checked the wires. I've unplugged my aftermarket stereo. Back in the summer, a friend was successful at scanning my car's CPU with his VagCom. Is there that much of a difference between the dongle and his VagCom? And why does the dongle work on the JETTA but not the BEETLE, both the same year? Do I need to consider that my BEETLE'S CPU could be toast? Solutions?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most common problem - Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

If this is not the problem you need to make sure there are no blown fuses, ignition needs to be turned on, engine can be running, maybe the connectors are spread or damaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd been using my scantool to check on my beetle and clear the coolant code that pops up from time to time. a couple weeks ago I installed a new radio with an adapter harness. code popped up the other day so I went to check it and my tool would no longer scan. found this thread and pulled the radio and clipped the little blue jumper wire and now the scan tool works fine again. thanks for posting that info.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Although you have the problem resolved about the computer not scanning, you REALLY should address the "coolant code".

What is the coolant code you are getting?

Chances are it is for engine coolant temperature too low. These engines get soft thermostats and then the engine run too cold and this can cause premature engine oil contamination, crankcase contamination and sludge problems.

You need to monitor the engine coolant temperature, the engine should typically run approximately 205F most of the time, the temp may drop slightly on the highway, but should pretty constantly stay over 200F.

·
Registered
10 Posts
where are you measuring your coolant temp? I have a heat sensor thermostat. I can't remember off the top of my head which code it was throwing. thinking it was p2181. i'll write it down next time. I hadn't found anything definitive when I looked it up originally. kinda sounded like one people throw a lot of time and money at and rarely get squared away. the car hasn't gotten hot so if anything I would say the thermostat is sticking open slightly. I get great heat and the blue coolant light always goes off within a mile or two. thoughts?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
where are you measuring your coolant temp? I have a heat sensor thermostat. I can't remember off the top of my head which code it was throwing. thinking it was p2181. i'll write it down next time. I hadn't found anything definitive when I looked it up originally. kinda sounded like one people throw a lot of time and money at and rarely get squared away. the car hasn't gotten hot so if anything I would say the thermostat is sticking open slightly. I get great heat and the blue coolant light always goes off within a mile or two. thoughts?
German thermostat SUX! They poorly temper the main springs and they can and will soft fail in as little as 1 to 2 years. Soft fail means the thermostat opens too soon and will not keep the engine coolant temperature in the range it should operate.

Just because you the blue cold temp light goes out in a couple of miles and you have good heat is NO indicator of proper coolant temperature.

Where do I measure my coolant temperature sensor?? Same place I measure is on every vehicle I look at. I use an OBDII tool that supports Live/Realtime data and monitor the engine coolant temperature that the ECU uses. You do not want to try and use an IR thermometer, there is no way you can monitor the engine coolant temperature consistently or reliably this way.

For $30 or less you can get the OBDFusion App for either an Android or iProduct and the proper interface and it supports Live/Realtime data.

My bet is the engine is probably running 20+F too cold!

·
Registered
10 Posts
interesting. i'll see what my scanner picks up the next time the code pops up. should be able to read the data with it. nothing is showing up right now. my wife said she did have it stall on her today so I'm going to look into the crank shaft sensor. anyone know if the Bosch sensors on ebay are genuine? I've seen a few that say made in china. are they made there now? roughly $20? or should it cost more? I gotta find a diagram of where it's located. looking at the engine from the front, is it just to the right a little bit of the knock sensor?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
interesting. i'll see what my scanner picks up the next time the code pops up. should be able to read the data with it. nothing is showing up right now. my wife said she did have it stall on her today so I'm going to look into the crank shaft sensor. anyone know if the Bosch sensors on ebay are genuine? I've seen a few that say made in china. are they made there now? roughly $20? or should it cost more? I gotta find a diagram of where it's located. looking at the engine from the front, is it just to the right a little bit of the knock sensor?
Not all OBDII tools support Live/Realtime data. You NEED the OBDFusion App and interface, it is less than $30 iProducts, less than $20 for Android!!! This is for BOTH the App and interface.

The App will Log while you drive and you can then capture what happens when the car acts up. Sometimes you will have no idea what the problem is, but you can use the process of elimination or the Log data may rule some things in or out.

What OBDII tool make and model do you have.

Any OBDII tool that does not support Live/Realtime data is not even worth buying/owning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
got an actron cp9175. it's 5-6 years old now and works fine but may not get all the data that's available. these vw's are definitely much more finicky than other cars I've had. lol. I don't mind turning wrenches though. it's kinda therapeutic for me (as long as my repairs are not in vain). will this software interface you are talking about work with my other cars as well, or is it specific to the beetle?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Typical "orange" tool, sorry, would not have one if you gave it too me. Acrton just like Innova never really got it with most of their tools, no Live/Realtime data!! You cannot fix cars without Live/Realtime data.

As I mentioned, for $30 or less, the OBDFusion App with the proper interface will give you Live/Realtime data and Logging capability. You will probably never touch your Actron again if you get OBDFusion.

So do you have an Android or iProduct?

iProducts, $10 for the App, $18 for the interface - https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scan...e=UTF8&qid=1466587601&sr=1-1&keywords=veepeak

Android - $4 for the App, $15 for the interface - https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Blue...=1466587717&sr=1-2&keywords=veepeak+bluetooth

This is a NO brainer!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,413 Posts
Typical "orange" tool, sorry, would not have one if you gave it too me. Acrton just like Innova never really got it with most of their tools, no Live/Realtime data!! You cannot fix cars without Live/Realtime data.
I haven't used it myself yet, but I got this scanner for my dad for their Chevys and according to the chart, it does do freeze frame and live data. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T8UG52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 He's used it already to scan for codes and it seems to be a pretty good generic tool. I still wouldn't recommend one for a VW necessarily, but if you already had one, seems like it could do some good.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
OK, the OP's Actron CP9175 does not support Live data. Many of the Actron tools do not, it baffles me why any OBDII tool vendor sells any tool that do not support Live/Realtime and Freeze Frame data.

This being said, I have had issues in the past with Actron tools that did not read codes properly and attempted to work with the Actron support folks, I finally gave up and decided they were too clueless to understand what is going on.

ANY generic OBDII tool is fine for VW or any other brand of vehicle. There seems to be some punch everyone drinks that thinks that Ross VCDS is the ONLY tool that will work on VW's and if you do not have VCDS you cannot repair a VW. Well this quite a bit misleading.

Ross VCDS may give you some more insight, however, it is not the only tool you should have. First it typically is computer based and rarely does everyone drive around with a VCDS computer in the car on a daily basis. Also using a computer while driving in the car is a disaster, even if it is quietly Logging away. Too bulky, power requirements and so forth.

IF the SES/CEL/MIL turns on in ANY vehicle, all quality generic OBDII tools should and will read codes that triggered the SES/CEL/MIL. Some tools may give you more in depth information, some tools will read Proprietary manufacturer codes that WILL NOT turn on the SES/CEL/MIL.

I find the "orange" tools typically too expensive, too limited , often featureless and the support is AWFUL! Far better options on the market for equal or less money.

·
Registered
10 Posts

well I'm not planning on giving you one so you needn't worry about it. I've scanned hundreds of cars with it and it works fine. it does have some realtime data features but I've never used those. yet. is there always something newer and better? sure. i'll get that when i need it. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
OBDFusion App and interface. Less than $30 on iProducts and $20 on Android WITH the interface.

Keep the interface in the car or get an interface for each car you own, you will ALWAYS have an OBDII tool in the car while drive.

If you have never used Realtime/Live data, you are missing quite a bit of what you need to look at. Start with the engine coolant temperature, should be 205F,m even while cruising it should never dip below 200F for any length of time.

Do not bother sending me the "orange" tool. Do not want it, I have more money wrapped up in scan tools and software that most people have in their New Beetle!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts