NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've just replaced a faulty starter motor on my beetle. The battery has been disconnected for about a week. Now I've put it all back together with a new starter motor the car wont start.

I get all the lights on the dash but nothing when I turn the key. I have also noticed a high pitch noise coming from the engine bay.

Could this be something to do with disconnecting the batter for a long period of time? :confused::confused:

121 Posts
Did you have the battery checked? If not you should.

The OBD II system in your car (brain/computer) is pretty much plug and play. disconnecting the battery will have no effect with the problem you discribe.

Did you have the old starter checked before you replaced it?.

Also it could be that you may have not torqued the main cable coming from the battery to the starter enough. Or maybe the battery cable are just not tight.

As far as the repair you did if it needed a starter, you did a great job, it's something during the repair you either did incorrectly.

Again it could be a otb bad starter.

Ya just never know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have the battery checked? If not you should.

The OBD II system in your car (brain/computer) is pretty much plug and play. disconnecting the battery will have no effect with the problem you discribe.

Did you have the old starter checked before you replaced it?.

Also it could be that you may have not torqued the main cable coming from the battery to the starter enough. Or maybe the battery cable are just not tight.

As far as the repair you did if it needed a starter, you did a great job, it's something during the repair you either did incorrectly.

Again it could be a otb bad starter.

Ya just never know.
Thanks for the reply.

I did test the old starter after it was removed and it was definitely a gonner.

The battery itself seem to be in good order and holding plenty of charge.

I've noticed that the EPC light is on when I try to start the car. I'm not sure if this is normal.

I'm leaning towards rechecking my work. If that fails I think it's a job for the professionals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts