NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 beetle. When I try and start it nothing happens and the dash isn't getting any power. The battery is also good (new battery). I'm trying to figure out if it sounds more like a computer/security system issue or a starter issue. Has anyone run into something like this before?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I've got a 2002 beetle. When I try and start it nothing happens and the dash isn't getting any power. The battery is also good (new battery). I'm trying to figure out if it sounds more like a computer/security system issue or a starter issue. Has anyone run into something like this before?
Check the fuse panel on top of the battery. See this post:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/58382-99-repair-woes.html

If it were the alarm system preventing you from starting the horn would go off when you turn the key. What does work on the car? Power locks? Headlights? Interior lights?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
electric gramblings

with a digital volt/ohm meter measure from the Negative of the battery to a good spot in the car's chassis ground. You should have a direct short in the milli ohms, if not there is your problem . you might have ground issues or corrosion problems. good luck man in finding those gramblings. LOL:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI Guys,

First of all I wanted to say thanks for all the help. Been a long time reader of the forums and have found lots of answers.

My 2000 beetle has a similar issue as this. The other day it would not start, thought battery was dead boosted it and it was fine.

Today I unlocked the doors with the rmote and noticed the red light on the dirver side door flashing but the door did not unlock. I hit the remote again adn the light went out. Unlocked the door with the key and there was no power, no beeping, nothing.

Put the key in the ignition and nothing, I figured the battery was dead. I left the key in the ignition and opened the hood. As I got out of the car and started to raise the hood the car started beeping, like when you leave the keys in the ignition, and the power was back so it was not the battery.

Any ideas? The only thing I noticed when looking around the battery in that red wire that comes from the side of the battery to the top has been taped up near the connection but other than that all wires look good. Could this be a short or an ignition problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
battery

how old is the battery? it might be time to replace the battery since it did not hold charge from the last time you had to booster jump it or the alternator is not putting out a charge voltage. When the alternator is charging correctly it's output will be around 13-14 VDC at Idle. You gotta start troubleshooting the problem, Remove the battery and take it to autozone to have them check out, then put back in car and put a digital meter on the alternator(battery) output for the 13-14 vdc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how old is the battery? it might be time to replace the battery since it did not hold charge from the last time you had to booster jump it or the alternator is not putting out a charge voltage. When the alternator is charging correctly it's output will be around 13-14 VDC at Idle. You gotta start troubleshooting the problem, Remove the battery and take it to autozone to have them check out, then put back in car and put a digital meter on the alternator(battery) output for the 13-14 vdc.
I don't think the battery was dead the first time. Is it possible there could be a short near the battery? I thought about the battery but the second time it "died" all I did was open the hood and the power was back on. What does that wire from the side of the battery to the top do? It seems loose

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The smaller wire that bolts on to the positive terminal feed power to fuse box on top of the battery.

Any electrical connection that is loose is a problem, tighten and/or check all obvious electrical connections.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts