VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.0 2000 Beetle. We have recently replaced the water pump, timing belt, o2 sensor, plugs and air filter. However, when it is cold outside it will not start. Then if it does start it stalls out. Later in the day is fine once it warms up outside. Once the car is running it drives great, however it is getting terrible gas mileage. It went through almost 3/4 of a tank of gas in less than 50 miles!! It is now giving a code for the mass air sensor however our mechanic is not confident that this will fix the issue. We have dumped over $1500 into it in the last 2 months, any help????

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, please post any trouble codes you have.

You can look up trouble codes here: Ross-Tech Wiki

Off the top of my head; potential issues that would cause a hard start could be.....

1. a dirty throttle body (clean and align with vcds)
2. a bad coolant temp sensor, could cause similar issues, to what you are describing.
3. fuel pump: pressure test the fuel pump and see if it is in spec.
4. I would also; be curious, to see what your fuel trim levels are. You need a scan tool; that does live data to read this; as the car is running. You might rent a scan tool; from your local auto parts store or get a higher end vw scan tool like VCDS from Ross Tech.
5. ignition switch; when they wear out and crack, they can cause a problem, where the car won't start.

You can read more about fuel trim levels here:

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

If you don't have a vw specific scanner; you might pick up one of the cheap ones off of amazon to just read any trouble codes: search for vas450 or U281.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a scanner, I am going by what my mechanic has told me. I will go pick up a cheap one at the local auto parts store today. One thing, I have also replaced the ignition coil pack. If it is possibly a coolant sensor will that come up as a code as well? I have also been doing some research, could it possibly be a vacuum line? How do I check for this? It is my son's car and I am a single mom trying to get this fixed for him. I really appreciate the help. This thing has been nothing but problems, I bought it for him in November 2014, when it first went to the mechanic it came up with 16 different codes.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, if you are going to buy a cheap scanner; I would get a Volkswagen compatible one. Let us know; what your budget is and then we can recommend one.

The thing is; a typical cheap scanner, will NOT read all of the Volkswagen specific codes for the car. If you want to fix things yourself; get one that is for Volkswagens and that will get you more info, to help us help you, to fix things!

Here are two; that I mentioned before on amazon.com.

UL280 (under $20)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=vw+scanner+u281&rh=i:aps,k:vw+scanner+u281

vas450 (under $50)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...vas+450&rh=i:aps,k:volkswagen+scanner+vas+450

Both of the above scanners; JUST read CODES and do not show "live data", which is when the car is running.... tell you things about how well the car is running (specific data; that can help you diagnose the car).

If you have a higher budget; there are other scanners that can do live data but cost more but can do more things.

ES680 Pro VW scanner (about $75)

http://www.amazon.com/Joyluxy-E-SCA...TF8&qid=1427828775&sr=8-9&keywords=vw+scanner

vag 401 (about $75)

http://www.amazon.com/Arrival-Vag40...F8&qid=1427829069&sr=8-10&keywords=vw+scanner

Foxwell NT500 VAG Scanner (about $200)

007868SCH01A - VAG Professional Scan Tool - ES#2827082

Then the higher end professional Volkswagen factory level scanner (similar to what they use at the VW dealerships):

Ross Tech VCDS ($250-$350)

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS

I don't mean to overwhelm you but wanted to give you a range of prices and tools, that can possibly fit your budget.

The code scanner; should bring up trouble codes for a number of issues you may be having.

Get the car scanned; post up those codes and we will go from there! Lets fix this thing! We are all here to help! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts