NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to start my '06 NB TDI this morning and the glowplug and electronic immobilizer lights started flashing and it would not start. Tried all my keys, including the pass key, with the same result. Worked fine yesterday. I have a call into the dealer, a hundred miles away in Tulsa, but was wondering if anyone has any idea what may be wrong?

-dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
The immobilizer is freaking out.

The dealer should be able to talk you through the cycle of resetting the keys so the immobilizer recognizes it. It involves a key in the ignition, getting out, cylcing the outside lock with the other key ... I forget exactly how, but you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the dealer didn't say anything about resetting the keys, just had me call for a tow. They didn't even check anything when I arrived, just stuck me in a rental and said that they would call when it's ready for pick up. I live 1.5 hours away - seems like they would have at least checked a few things before maximizing the inconvenience to me and incurring a rental cost to the dealership + having the car towed a hundred miles. :confused:

I'm not a happy camper :mad:

-dave

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Ah, welcome to the world of VW dealerships.
There is a section in the owner's guide on how to reset the keys. Did the doors unlock using the key fob? If not, the fob will also need to be reset.

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Dave said:
Getting the impression that my situation here is not that unusual :confused:

-dave
The cars are wonderful, it's normally the dealer that seems to be the problem. It seems like they either have no clue, or they want to diagnose something more serious than it is.

In the past year, I've learned to search the boards, and if I don't find an answer here, ask. If that doesn't help, then I call the dealership. And honestly - I've yet to actually need to call the dealership. :)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
At this point you should call VW of America and open up a case with them. They can sometimes start a fire under the dealership.
From the original post, it sounds like the cluster has gone out. A far too common of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issue. I hope your TDI is back home in a jiffy.

Good luck to you. :(

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The reader coil is like an antenna. It sends out a signal that the key picks up, and then returns the ID. That way the computer knows if it is you, or a bad guy trying to take the car with a copied key. If the reader is bad, the computer gets bad ID information and refuses to start the car. The reader coil is located in the cluster.
It can take a day or two to get a new part from VW.

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
Larry is right, but it is actually part of the ignition lock cylinder. Unfortunately, don't be surprised if it isn't ready when they promised. I've fixed quite a few newer Vw's with similar problems, even putting a reader coil in one, and that wasn't the case any time. Ended up being a bad instrument cluster each time. I have however seen bad reader coils on some of the earlier cars, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

·
MST3K
28 Posts
hi I was wondering before were you having problems with your keys like having a hard time opening the trunk or the doors? On my key sometimes it takes me a while to get it to reconginze that i'm pressing the buttons. I wondering if it's the key or maybe what kind of problems your going throught. I hate going to the dealer. They diagonis my car wrong I think and told me that my wheel bearings were going out and I needed a new transmission and I only had it not even three months or 3000 miles when bought it. Well i got my wheel bearings checked by some one else just to get second opion and they said that a bolt was a little lose. but for the transmission hey the company that I bought it from paid for the transmission so I lucked out there even if I really didn't need a new transmission yet. I was curious if i was having the same problems as you like on the keys or they need new batteries or something. let me know what happens.

Tom Servo

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Tom, everything was great until last Monday morning. No sign of any problem before that.

Well I picked up the car today. So far, so good. Here is what the ticket says:

CHECK GLOW PLUG LIGHT IS ON/KEY PROGRAM INDICATOR IS ON
VEHICLE STARTS THEN DIES
RUN GFF, HAS THREE CODES, 16885,P0501 VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL IMPLAUSIBLE, 17978,P1570 ECM DISABLED SPORATIC, 01176,KEY SIGNAL TOO LOW. CAR STARTED. SPECIAL ORDER READER COIL...
SOP READER COIL IN. INSTALLED READER COIL AND RECHECKED,
NORMAL OPERATION, TEST DROVE, NO CODES, 01509999,35TU,28071900,01320024, 01210004

Funny they never said the coil was a special order, even when I questioned them about how long it took to get it here. Hopefully this is the end of this problem.

-dave

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Dave

So how much does one of those glow plugs go for? I hope that I never run to a problem like that. well I have a extra set of keys they will open the car doors but won't start the car and all it was is that it needs to be programed again. but to have all the other stuff boy I hope you don't get into much debt with that. For the keys to be reprogarmed for me is 40-50 dollars. But I hope things will work out for you. Hey let me know about how much the reader coil is just incase mine might have it done soon.

Tom Servo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts