NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first timer here, Hello to all,
I have a 2000 GL 2.0 yellow her name is Betty that shut down while driving, It turns over but no fire, It is leaking antifreeze, not sure where, the timing belt turns while cranking so its not froze up, my question is if the water pump went out would this keep the car from starting ? or if it has a cracked block would that keep it from starting ? ( no bubbles or milk with oil) I replaced the crank sensor already ( no change) fuel pump pressurizes when door opens, I am replacing fuel pump relay and fuel filter this weekend, I have an inexspessive code reader, my 1st read after the shut down I got the following codes: P1582,P0506,P1128,P0102,P0121, My 2nd read after clearing and cranking was just one code P0341 witch by my book is the crank sensor, I ohmed pins 2 & 3 got 989 ohms, so it checks good, any help would be greatly appreciated,P.S. Low on funds to just be replacing parts to find out that does not work.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Have you checked the belt to make sure that all the teeth are there? Tension is good? How many miles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the belt looks real good,all teeth & no cracks, good tension, has 109K, I've only had it for about 3 months so I am not sure what the maintinence has been on it. Thank You for replying

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
ECU reset

Hey welcome to new beetle.org johnny Did you remember to reset the ECU after replacing the crank position sensor? sometimes a little reset go's a long way. The 2.0 is notorious for Ignition coil going bad, one more thing to check. Electronics are complicated in these cars I wouldn't rule out anything causing weird issues. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do I need a vag to reset the ECU on the 2000 ? I cleared the codes out , I am not sure on how to reset? thanks again for the help

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
reset ECU

There are several threads around this forum on how to reset the car's main computer (ECU). One way I know works pretty good in my 2003 1.8 trubo is like this; remove the plus(+) cables from the battery, Remove the negative(-) cable from the battery, touch both or all cables together and hold for 30 seconds, then connect both cables back on battery, ya done man :goodjob:

Note; if the plus(+)side has two cables, remove them both.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You shouldn't assume that because you replaced the crank sensor that wasn't the problem. It took 3 tries to get a good one when I replaced mine. Since you are still getting the code I'd try again on the sensor especially if your first one wasn't a Bosch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks esse, I'll try that.

red99, I was wondering that myself, from what I have read pin 2 & 3 should ohm out to around a 1000 if its good but mine is not a bosch, duralast from autozone,

thanks for yalls help on this, its got me stump,

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It may measure good and still not work. Proper resistance only means that it may possibly work. Bad resistance means it won't work.

·
SUNKIST
14 Posts
Hey There
Before you go out and start changing things, lets slow down and review what you said.( I will check that, code P0121 does say to check ECM relay for loss power,). I would look into the relay first before anything else, bad relay no ECM, no ECM, no start. Car needs the brains before anything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
redd99, this is true..

CSPM, I plan on changing the relay today or saturday,I hope this works..

someone on here had broke down all the codes from Bentley, I had a code that came up on my 1st read that was not on my list, by the Bently it is P1255, (engine coolant temp circuit short) with this code I get back to my original question about my antifreeze leak, could the water pump or a cracked head cause a no start.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I replaced the fuel pump relay (no start) ran a scan, just one, the crank sensor, replaced fuel filter, (no start) , wich was needed, all kinds of dirt came out of it, when I drained it, but the oil lite came on and was beeping after I was trying to start, ran a scan, crank sensor only, so tomarrow I will replaced the second crank sensor..... I still would love to know if the temp. sensor or oil sensor would keep Betty from starting ??? really in dier need of help ?? this belongs to my 18 yr old and she is getting real impatiant....:(

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Temp sensor will not cause a no start condition.

Oil sensor?? Can`t be 100%, usually the fuel pump relay requires a crank sensor signal to engage. This is a safety feature if the car is wrecked and the engine stalls to keep the pump from running in case there is a fuel leak. Some cars will also shut the fuel pump down when there is a loss of oil pressure for the same reason as above and it will hopefully save the engine in the case of lack of oil pressure. BUT, oil pressure cut off can cause a car to shut down on the road, so usually the lawyers win over common sense and saving the engine.

Crank sensor is required also for injectors and ignition to work properly as well.

Crank sensors are somewhat known issues with these cars, I would replace the crank sensor even if it was not the primary problem anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the response jfoj,

thanks for the info.. it did shut down while driving at about 50 mph and has not started yet. turns over but no start, i will check for spark and replaced crank sensor.

thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, replaced the crank sensor (again) still no start, replaced oil pressure sensor just to see, didn't work, is there any easy way to check the distributor ? thanks for the help..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts