NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Long time lover of beetles, my first car was a 1970 bug in white.. and I've wanted to own a new beetle ever since they came out.

My 1992 grand am is about beat, and I'm looking at selling it and financing an entry level priced beetle. I need the car to last at least two years and then I will probably finance a much newer bug with lower miles..

what I've found is this:

2000 GLS automatic that needs a loving home

she is pretty but comes with baggage - namely 148,000 miles. I am going to test drive tomorrow or monday, and if the engine sounds like she is running smooth, I may finance it at $6,995 (or lower if I can swing it.)

Would you say $6,995 for a nice physical condition 2001 NB with 148k miles is a good investment if she seems to run well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Dallas, TX.

I will do some more looking. If the test drive is favorable, I could try to bring it down a good amount or just walk away and keep looking.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Alfer, you are a lucky person. You live in an area with a great New Beetle club! :clap:

As for the car. If it runs great, looks like it has been taken care of, and CarFax report comes out clean, offer what you think it's worth. The picture looks good, but an in-person inspection will tell you more. Good luck to you, and......

Welcome to the Org!

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Hi there!

Pretty white bug! 148,000 miles is a bit o' milage. I would ONLY do it if:

* Maintenance was always done on the car from a respectable place
* The engine is good (take it to a VW mechanic to see if things are ok)
* If carfax checked out ok
* For a lot less $$ ... perhaps $5,000.

Happy hunting & Welcome to the .org! :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
well, if you check the Kelley Blue book value of the car... www.kbb.com
The suggested retail value of the car is $8,745 ...using zip code 75231

The trade in value is $6,125....

I wouldn't spend more then the trade in value.....and have the car checked by a reputable mechanic...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the ORG!

You will Like It here!

The People here are Great!

Good Luck in your Quest For Your New beetle!

John K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts