NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been trying to deal with issues with my wife's 1.8T for quite a while. To try to make a long story short, it's been acting up for a few years. Besides the CEL going on, the EPC light and whatever the circle with the triangle is also went on. The "expert" she took it to could not seem to make any of his fixes last more than a couple of months. One of his fixes was a new throttle body. Things seemed to get worse after that. Recently I started talking with a friend that has several VW's. He suggested the EPC light might be because I don't have the correct throttle body. His claim is that the correct throttle body depends on the vin number of the car, even in the same year. Could this be true?

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Anything is possible; can you read the part number off the old/new one and do you still have original one available or was it returned as a core? If you figure out the part number; you can contact your Vw dealer with your vin # and see if you have the right one. You can also, search here: http://parts.vw.com

We have had some members; that had ongoing problems with their throttle bodies, dirty or internal problems and wiring issues were the cause of the problem :

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/124170-vcds-17579-angle-sensor-2-throttle-actuator-body-rough-idle-issue-resolved.html#/forumsite/20963/topics/124170?page=1

For troubleshooting the problem; you would need, to start with a fresh scan with a Vw compatible scan tool. If you want to start working on the car and fixing it yourself; I would recommend, you invest in your own Vw scan tool: check out the VAG 401 or the Foxwell nt500 on Amazon or VCDS by Ross tech.

Until you get the trouble codes, you are flying blind but once you get them, it can help narrow down the causes.

Discuss the repair situation further, get the TB part number, scan the car for trouble codes and we can go from there. Thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have the number of the new one. I never got the old one back.
I tried disconnecting the battery for a while to see if the TB would re-align itself to no avail.
My scanner is not VW specific. It's a Veepeak wifi scanner. The codes from that are P0221, P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0303. P0170 and P1297 are pending. The good news is I can borrow a VW specific one.

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
The "poor man's", throttle body alignment procedure; is to turn, the ignition switch to "on" without starting it and leave it there for a couple of minutes, until the throttle body noises stop.

Go over, each of these trouble code definitions; for things to check. From what I am seeing: you have having misfires, vacuum/boost leaks and what we figured, electrical issues with your throttle body. I would read the above; linked to thread, about checking your wiring to your throttle body. As you noted, it would be good; to confirm, that you have the right throttle body, for your particular car. Get the TB part number; the oem TB's are made by Bosch.

You have your work cut out for you; I would check for boost leaks, test the diverter valve and look for any cracked, disconnected or blown hoses. The boost hose; that runs on the back of the valve cover, is a known failure point. The DV's can get a hole in them and not hold vacuum or stick.

The misfires, can be related to a number of issues; everything from your boost leaks, throttle body electrical issues, coil packs/wiring and even fuel pressure issues, among a number of other possibilities. I would assume, until you get your throttle body issues worked out and boost leaks fixed; you will have all kinds of drivability issues and tons of trouble codes! :)

16605/P0221/000545 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16684/P0300/000768 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16685/P0301/000769 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16686/P0302/000770 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16687/P0303/000771 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0170 VOLKSWAGEN Fuel Trim Bank 1 | AutoCodes

17705/P1297/004759 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Get the part number of the TB and identify it; see if it is the right one, for your car. Then, check out this TB thread and start working through the recommended checks and possibly repair the plugs/wiring harnesses to the throttle body. Also, check for boost leaks and report back, what you find. Thanks.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/124170-vcds-17579-angle-sensor-2-throttle-actuator-body-rough-idle-issue-resolved.html#/forumsite/20963/topics/124170

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I would recommend, you invest in your own Vw scan tool: check out the VAG 401 or the Foxwell nt500 on Amazon or VCDS by Ross tech"

I looked up all of these. They all seem to do the same things. What's the difference besides price?

In the meantime, I'll try a poor mans TBA and check for vacuum leaks

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Well, you "get what you pay for"; the VAG 401 is a capable scan tool but it is a cheap chinese product with very little support or much of a user manual. The Foxwell NT500 seems to be more user friendly, has a color screen with "gui" icons and seems to have better tech support.

I do no own or have I used; any of the above scan tools and cannot comment on using them.

The VCDS solution by Ross Tech, is pretty much the industry standard for a clone of the VW factory scan tool; that they use at the VW/VAG dealerships. The company, Ross Tech; is USA based with real call in support, a excellent website with information, a wiki and support forums, for registered users of VCDS. VCDS also, has a lifetime free updates and will always be compatible with the latest VAG cars being produced with the packages, that offer this feature (HEX CAN USB; others). This is a incredible value, for the cost of the tool and in the pro level scan tool market; NO ONE, offers free updates indefinitely for their products. I have had VCDS, since 2007 and I highly recommend it! :)

Note: keep in mind, VCDS runs on a windows based pc/tablet but the new wireless option, runs on portable devices.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, for now I can borrow my friend's tool. If I get this thing fixed to the point of passing emissions, I'll buy one.

I started the poor mans TBA about 35 minutes ago. The throttle body is still whirring away. Not sure how long I should give it, but I'm not going anywhere for a while.

Thinking about the possibility of vacuum leaks, I looked up vacuum hose for this car. I can't seem to find a clear answer for how many there are. Are they all the same size? Can I just buys good hose line and replace them? I can't imagine that would be too expensive or difficult. I'll keep looking as well as checking for leaks.

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Well, if it is making noises; for that long, it maybe failing the alignment process. One of the trouble codes; was specifically, for the throttle body and that maybe a wiring issue or ?

For the boost and vacuum hoses; some smaller hoses are standard but many are unique molded hoses. These are VW specific or you can look at getting aftermarket silicone hoses, from vendors like Forge, Samco, 034 Motorsports, etc. Many of the rubber hoses; especially. those related to the pcv system, deteriorate badly from heat and oil vapor exposure.

Aftermarket companies like Gates and CRP/Rein; are starting to make hoses and they are good quality but cheaper than genuine vw. Recently, I have gotten some cooling hoses from O'Reilly's (Gates) and Autozone (CRP/Rein); so, that is another option to check out, for stock style rubber hoses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was still whirring away after two hours. I turned the key off and the noise didn't stop. What wiring issues should I look for?

As far as the hoses go, it'd be nice if there was a kit to replace them, but I haven't found one. I'm not sure that would be the best way to go. I'd think it would be better to find the leak first. I can't find any cracks or loose connections, but that doesn't mean much if the leak only happens under pressure.

I did find a thread on vacuum lines on here. It seems there would be more hoses than what the pics show.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/20550d1156742620-important-vacuum-line-information-dscn1359.jpg

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Vacuum Hose Repair Kit - 06A198011B $79.95
I
OEM: 06A198011B
MPN: 06A198011B
By Genuine Vilkswagen

Cheaper version by ecstuning:

Vacuum System Repair Kit

Kit includes vacuum T fittings, vacuum line, and one way check valve
Be the first to leave a review|Q&A
Mfg Part #
51731257971KT
ECS Part #
ES#2515457
Brand
Assembled By ECS

Or just go down to the auto parts store and make your own kit. Some people, go with silicone hoses; they seem to last longer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1.8t+vacuum+line+kit+silicone&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

·
5/23/10 <3
10,907 Posts
The Gen 3 is the new 1.8T that's out in the new VWs. If you go down the list, the New Beetle is listed with the 1.8T.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found it, but the kit shown is not a complete kit. I'm sure it would help, but if I'm going to do this, I'd rather not go just part way.
Getting back to the possibility of a wiring issue on the throttle body. Am I looking just at the wiring right at the throttle body or is there another spot known to fail.

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Did you read this thread? All the info; is there.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/124170-vcds-17579-angle-sensor-2-throttle-actuator-body-rough-idle-issue-resolved.html#/forumsite/20963/topics/124170

That being said; it seems there can be internal problems under the plastic cover plate or the plug itself or other areas, that you need to investigate possible damage or wiring problems. That fact that you cannot, seem to align the throttle body; would seem to coincide with the P0221 trouble code:

16605/P0221/000545 - Ross-Tech Wiki

If the plug to the throttle body: is bad, the contacts are dirty or damaged. You can try to clean the plugs/contacts or you can purchase new plugs and terminal ends, at your local vw dealer. Testing and inspection; of the wiring is required and see if there is any problems with the wiring harness or throttle body.

There aren't really any shortcuts to troubleshooting; you need to start testing things, in a step by step methodical manner. Identify the throttle body and check out the wiring; read the thread, about what others have found to be their problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much Billymade. I had not seen that post. With that kind of info I can start doing the step by step trouble shooting.
I'll have to wait for tomorrow though. I'm gonna start some crab apple vodka this afternoon. Yum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the plastic cover off and cleaned the inside with alcohol. I doubt it will help. It was clean as a whistle inside. I'll check the wiring this weekend

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gasket question

Can the throttle body gasket be re-used? I always replace gaskets so I automatically went to AZ to get a new one. They don't carry the vehicle specific gasket. Looking elsewhere I found no one carries them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts