VW Beetle Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Smileybug 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking for some coil overs for a very good price. Used coil overs are ok. Let me know if you are selling or prefer a good brand for a good price. Thanks!

#3 ·
I've heard both positive and negative reviews on them. It seems that all the cheap coil over reviews are both either good or not with the riding. They never say one thing! It makes searching for them hard! :confused: :D My beetle rides like a Cadillac with over 150k on stock suspension although I probably won't be getting as near quality with the coilovers.

#6 ·
Maybe I will go with Racelands, but I want a cheaper deal than that if possible. I'm looking for a 1.5" drop so I can fill in the gap between wheel and fender. I've thought about springs on stock struts but have heard I will eventually need to replace them. Does anyone know how long stock struts on lowering springs would last and if it were to damage my car? :eek:

#7 ·
I really don't think you could find a better deal on coilovers. As far as lowering springs, you can use your stock struts but eventually they will blow out due to the spring rate difference. No one can tell you WHEN they will, could be 2 days, could be 2 weeks, could be 2 years, you just never know. It wont hurt your car but worn struts will wear your tires and bushings out faster and will kill your handling and braking distances. I think my biggest worry with worn struts would be the excessive bouncing and bottoming out (oil pan). If I were you, I wouldn't rush into it with just the springs knowing it will need struts as well, you will just make work for yourself and leave yourself wondering WHEN you will have to replace the struts.

#8 ·
The thing with any suspension setup is that is all subjective. It also depends on how you use it. We have a cheap set of coils on our Mk1 Jetta (JOM) and there are people who love them and there are those that hate them. We installed them and they are a bit harsher than stock, but they aren't too bad. They were hitting the bumpstops we think when we first installed them. Raised the car a smidge and that fixed it and it rides a lot smoother now. If you are going to slam the car down as far as the coils will take you, it will probably ride like crap and be really harsh. Just a modest drop and I think most any coil will be fine. We won our coils...would we have bought them? No, probably would have saved up for a really good set. But they aren't bad for what they are by any means. And the car looks a lot better now :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.