NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I went through this with another Orger but never heard the resolve. Is it broke, or just not in? I thought mine was broke too, but climbed onto the rear floor board behind the driver's seat and had a good look at how it "rolls" into place. A little "push" and it snapped into the track and works fine. Take a close look at it.

I'm now in worse shape though, my 5 yr old Grand-Daughter liked the rear cup holder, but left it out, and then getting out of the car, stepped on it and broke it of. Ouch, I'm sure I'm gonna' have to buy this from VW and tear the console out to install it.

You can find the part number here-
http://www.wagenstad.com/index.php?modid=59&page=8-863-55

I have a list of 15 or 20 online parts sources, VW Dealers and VW Parts Resellers, send me a p/m and I'll return the list. Need to shop them all as parts prices vary as much as double from site to site AND part to part. No one , that is cheapest.

Anyway, if on yours it's the receiver side of the console that IS damaged, here the Console R&R, or for anyone reading -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/52091-center-console-tiptronic-shifter-removal.html#post754104

MORAV

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's completely broken on one of the hinges that slides into it, so for now I just have it tape it shut and it looks horrible but I'm not looking forward to tearing the whole center console apart

·
Registered
867 Posts
The rear ashtray in grey is 1C0857301A3SG it should be around $30 at the dealer

If you need it, the rear cover for the console with the cup-holder is 1C08636173SG it is also around $30

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yeah it's completely broken on one of the hinges that slides into it, so for now I just have it tape it shut and it looks horrible but I'm not looking forward to tearing the whole center console apart
Assuming it is the "drop down" side that is broken, there are two versions, the power point and the ashtray, be sure you order the right one, if you buy online.
If the plastic on the console side is intact, you will not need to take the console apart to change out the part. It "pops" out, and "pops" back into place.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The rear ashtray in grey is 1C0857301A3SG it should be around $30 at the dealer

If you need it, the rear cover for the console with the cup-holder is 1C08636173SG it is also around $30
Thanks macdave, however, with all due respect -

My console is black, the OPer didn't indicate the color of his; The information (from my link above), I have (all colors shown) -

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming it is the "drop down" side that is broken, there are two versions, the power point and the ashtray, be sure you order the right one, if you buy online.
If the plastic on the console side is intact, you will not need to take the console apart to change out the part. It "pops" out, and "pops" back into place.

M.
What about the wiring to the cigarette lighter? Thats why I figured I had to take it apart

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It should plug in right at the lighter/power port assembly. The lighter/power point bezel is mounted (somehow) to your needed part, not the console. I can pop mine out and look at it if you need me to, but I'd rather not, as every time you do this with an aged plastic part there is the potential for breakage. Should be a very easy swap for you.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Most all accessory components on most all automobiles are plug and play (P&P) to speed assembly at the factory, and even when an option is missing, the plug is typically there to reduce the need for inventorying different parts and mistakes in assembly. Just so you know!

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It should plug in right at the lighter/power port assembly. The lighter/power point bezel is mounted (somehow) to your needed part, not the console. I can pop mine out and look at it if you need me to, but I'd rather not, as every time you do this with an aged plastic part there is the potential for breakage. Should be a very easy swap for you.

M.
Update: I got down and pulled off my door. The plug is almost all the way inside the console. If you lift out the storage cubby, or your CD Changer under the armrest, you should be able to just reach in and hold the plug to get it apart. The cubby or CD Changer simply lift straight up and out. No clips or anything holding them in.

M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts