VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I have bought a console mount 6cd Changer and I need the small black felt "cubby" that installs below it to fill the space. I also saw someone call it a "change holder" in a thread somewhere. I am willing to buy it from you, or if your are deleting it and your 6cd Changer for whatever reason, I will trade you the black felt full size "cubby" that replaces both.

Or does anyone know of a source?

I can't do the mod until I have the cubby, I'm not dismantling the console twice! (lol)

If I have to buy the cubby I need, I will have the full size cubby, in perfect condition for sale.

Here's a pic, but if you have one you already know what I'm talking about!

Attachments

·
Ret.
839 Posts
I picked up my insert at the local VW dealership and it was only around $7. The insert part number is 1C0-857-058-B-33N.

You really don't have to have the insert to install your changer...but it looks better than having a hole there. If something fell in the "hole" you'd have to remove your changer to get to it.

There is no dismantling the console. The changer and the storage unit just snap into place.

Here's mine:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY miffmole!

I picked up my insert at the local VW dealership and it was only around $7. The insert part number is 1C0-857-058-B-33N.
Excellent, ty

You really don't have to have the insert to install your changer...but it looks better than having a hole there. If something fell in the "hole" you'd have to remove your changer to get to it.
Duh...

There is no dismantling the console. The changer and the storage unit just snap into place.
How do I get the existing cubby out, intact? And am I going to be able to get to the plug on the harness?
Thanks!

·
Ret.
839 Posts
The "full-sized" cubby just pulls right out, or at least it did on my '04 NBC.

The plug is down inside the console. Just plug and play.
The wire on mine was pretty short, which made things
difficult.

A few more inches of wire would have been nice.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "full-sized" cubby just pulls right out, or at least it did on my '04 NBC.

The plug is down inside the console. Just plug and play.
The wire on mine was pretty short, which made things
difficult.

A few more inches of wire would have been nice.
That's why I thought I might have to dismantle the console!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More Info

"Little Cubby" no longer needed. New one is cheaper than the postage to get it here. Don't really mind keeping the "Big Cubby" anyway for when I go to get rid of her! lmao

Good info for anyone doing this though!

Buy the way girls and boys these 6cd Changers can be bought right now new for under $50, from VW.

And, I'll mention this again, a lot of ppl who have the Monsoon Head CD/SAT unit have an MP3 connection also and don't know it. It's underneath the right hand bottom corner of the Center Dash Bezel that contains the radio head and the a/c controls, about 1" back and 1" to the left. "You don't know it's there!"

MORAV

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
Hey R, do you know if I can install this in my nbc to the factory monsoon cassette player? Do I need a harness? I found them from ECS real cheap.
My tape deck does have cd controls but idk if it will control this particular unit
Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem!

Hey R, do you know if I can install this in my nbc to the factory monsoon cassette player? Do I need a harness? I found them from ECS real cheap.
My tape deck does have cd controls but idk if it will control this particular unit
Thank you
If you have the CD button then your head unit IS compatible and will absolutely work, and the wiring should (you might want to pop out the cubby and check) be in the console. You can read thru the thread, but I'm told the large cubby just "pops" out w/o removing the console, but is "tight". Apparently the little cubby/coin holder is available from the dealer for abt $7, p/n 1C0-857-058-B-33N

Don't know what ECS is getting for the unit, I paid abt $40 on eBay (NIB), I see them for less them around the web for abt $50. There is an entire set-up, CD/SAT/MP3 (which is what I have) head unit and 6 cd changer around the Org. for asking $250, probably take less, but you'd have to add the SAT antenna or just not use. If ECS is getting over $50 I can find a couple sources.

I haven't done mine, because I'm going to loosen up the console enough to access underneath the rear, and haven't got around to it. Nor have I got around to getting by a Dealer and getting the little cubby ordered. But again, the post indicates in can be put in after-the-fact. If you do unbolt the console for easier access, be careful removing the bezel that retains the front power outlet, the plastic tabs that hold it in on mine are broke and I have to replace that part.

Saw your "spit & shine". Lookin' good, Buddy!

MORAV

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
If you have the CD button then your head unit IS compatible and will absolutely work, and the wiring should (you might want to pop out the cubby and check) be in the console. You can read thru the thread, but I'm told the large cubby just "pops" out w/o removing the console, but is "tight". Apparently the little cubby/coin holder is available from the dealer for abt $7, p/n 1C0-857-058-B-33N

Don't know what ECS is getting for the unit, I paid abt $40 on eBay (NIB), I see them for less them around the web for abt $50. There is an entire set-up, CD/SAT/MP3 (which is what I have) head unit and 6 cd changer around the Org. for asking $250, probably take less, but you'd have to add the SAT antenna or just not use. If ECS is getting over $50 I can find a couple sources.

I haven't done mine, because I'm going to loosen up the console enough to access underneath the rear, and haven't got around to it. Nor have I got around to getting by a Dealer and getting the little cubby ordered. But again, the post indicates in can be put in after-the-fact. If you do unbolt the console for easier access, be careful removing the bezel that retains the front power outlet, the plastic tabs that hold it in on mine are broke and I have to replace that part.

Saw your "spit & shine". Lookin' good, Buddy!

MORAV
Thanks, I didn't do the engine compartment yet but I'll get to it. I ordered both the harness and changer for $59 shipped to my house. I still can not believe it! I did check the harness, non existing and the insert is quite easy to take out. Hey while we are at it. Can't close the ashtray in the back. Is there a fix for this? I won't use it as such but I would like to keep it operable as a power plug. Oh and I found out yesterday while cleaning her that the glove box lid has a major hole about 2" in diameter on the top left inside corner, ha, if you knew how many times my wife and I opened that thing before buying and even after. NEVER SAW IT UNTIL YESTERDAY, go figure.
Hey I wonder why they're selling this things (changers) so cheap? Hope they last

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good Deal!

Thanks, I didn't do the engine compartment yet but I'll get to it. I ordered both the harness and changer for $59 shipped to my house. I still can not believe it! I did check the harness, non existing and the insert is quite easy to take out. Hey while we are at it. Can't close the ashtray in the back. Is there a fix for this? I won't use it as such but I would like to keep it operable as a power plug. Oh and I found out yesterday while cleaning her that the glove box lid has a major hole about 2" in diameter on the top left inside corner, ha, if you knew how many times my wife and I opened that thing before buying and even after. NEVER SAW IT UNTIL YESTERDAY, go figure.
Hey I wonder why they're selling this things (changers) so cheap? Hope they last
Be careful cleaning the engine and compartment, I've read all kinds of ways of doing this, but always concerned about electronics.

I'm wondering if your harness is there but just up where you're not seeing it, because typically everything in the console would be on the same harness. Will be a plug in the back of the head unit though to plug in the changer harness. You might have to have something programmed if it's not completely P&P. The manufacturer's keep creating more and more ways to get us into the dealership. I don't know whether you can access the back of the head unit without pulling it. There are a bunch of DIYs around here on removing the head unit, with and without the "pull" tools that are made for this purpose.

As I said, be careful removing the power outlet bevel at the front of the console, to remove the console when you run the harness. The tabs are poorly designed, mine are gone, so I can't tell you how to get it of. I'll look again at mine and see if I can figure it out and also confirm there are mounting bolts under the bezel. But somebody really needs to look at a Bentley to advise. The tabs are not on the edges.

If you get in a jamb, you can always call me. My cell number is in my signature on my real world email as my "text" number.

You're having problems closing the ashtray because it's not lined up properly on the radii mounts that it pivots on. Thought mine was broke too. Put the seat up and forward where I could really get down and look at it, and no problem. Bet yours is the same!

I have to replace the glove box door on mine too, have a online wholesale dealer source (would not even consider a used one) for abt $100 and the DIY to remove the lock, somewhere. Hoping I don't have to take the dash apart, but all the "helpful" comments and DIYs were as if they didn't quite understand I wanted to just replace the door, not the compartment. My assist handle ends have got that god awful rubbery **** on them, and I either have to find a pair that are factory finished in a mat black, or get a set and have them powdercoated before I attempt the door change in case I do have to tear into the dash. I only want to do it once.

I don't think these changers were ever that expensive (I'm used to $$$ for GM units new), but no doubt demand has dwindled, besides the fact production of the "mother" vehicle has ended. VW is dumping them cheap thru their Outlet Website also.

I really like the trunk mount units better for a few reasons. 1) Out of the weather 2) out of a thief's ability [I keep my trunk release on the door locked and just use my remote] and 3) I can load several magazines with CDs and simply change magazines to change music. For what ever reason they never did the trunk mount in the Verts, possibly because when they came out with the vert they also came out with the console that would receive the changer ('03). I'm only doing this as a temp thing till I can get around to finding a harness to reach the trunk. The changer and mount are out there for about $100 NIB.

Keep me posted Buddy!

·
Ret.
839 Posts
You're having problems closing the ashtray because it's not lined up properly on the radii mounts that it pivots on. Thought mine was broke too. Put the seat up and forward where I could really get down and look at it, and no problem. Bet yours is the same!
Any tips on how you lined it up? I've tried many times without success.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here you go!

Any tips on how you lined it up? I've tried many times without success.
Make sure their are no chipped off pieces on either the door or the console where the radii connections are.

You have to start with it all the way down, open, or whatever you would call it, way down. Line up the females on the door with the males on the console. And push it kind of hard "in" as you start to "roll" it closed. Took me a couple times to get both side to go in imultaneously, and if they don't, your where you are now. lol

I'll pull mine out today and do it again, for maybe a little better DIY, Its been about six weeks ago. I really thought it was broken and that I was going to have to replace it, but...

And apparently since the three of us... this must be common!

MORAV

·
Ret.
839 Posts
Thank you for your reply...I guess the radii must be the plastic piece on one side with the ridges in it, right?

I'll pull mine out today and do it again, for maybe a little better DIY, Its been about six weeks ago. I really thought it was broken and that I was going to have to replace it, but...

And apparently since the three of us... this must be common!

MORAV
That would be great. Without really even looking at it, the dealership qouted me a price of about $128 to fix it. He was standing outside of the car at the time, LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I can't better describe.

Thank you for your reply...I guess the radii must be the plastic piece on one side with the ridges in it, right?

That would be great. Without really even looking at it, the dealership qouted me a price of about $128 to fix it. He was standing outside of the car at the time, LOL.
What an idiot! Or this is such a common problem he thought you were! He would have no way of knowing if the "tabs" on the door were broke, the tabs on the console were broke, or it just needed to be put back on. Probably the labor to do what I'm telling you, and then there is the "Well, we found a broken part, that will cost another..."

I don't know how to describe the places on the part any way other than radii, although this might be a poor way. On the console, you will find, om each side, kind of a small round (1/4" diameter) "pin", but they are hollow. On the door, you will find a little larger matching shape, also hollow with a void in it, to allow you to snap the door over the console side "pins". These "pins" become the "hinges" for the door, that the door rotates on. I think when you look at it this will become crystal clear.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aw, I'm sorry, the weather has been really ****ty off and on, and with the hoildays, pretty much just forgot. This will bump this up to where I'll see it tomorrow and I'll go take a closer look. Sorry!

MORAV

·
Pisant
234 Posts
Hey everybody,

I have bought a console mount 6cd Changer and I need the small black felt "cubby" that installs below it to fill the space. I also saw someone call it a "change holder" in a thread somewhere. I am willing to buy it from you, or if your are deleting it and your 6cd Changer for whatever reason, I will trade you the black felt full size "cubby" that replaces both.

Or does anyone know of a source?

I can't do the mod until I have the cubby, I'm not dismantling the console twice! (lol)

If I have to buy the cubby I need, I will have the full size cubby, in perfect condition for sale.

Here's a pic, but if you have one you already know what I'm talking about!
I guess I really don't pay attention. I saw your post about the coin holder and thought what is that. I walked outside and looked in my 04 NBC, and yes there is one. I never noticed it was there, and had no idea it was a coin holder.
I really should read the owner's manual and see what other options that I don't know are there.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I hear you buddy! I've got rain sensor wipers but haven't taken the time to look them up. Did learn elsewhere that they operate off an infared beam that does, or doesn't reflect off the water on the windshield depending upon of course whether there is or isn't. Have to read to learn how to activate it, must somehow tie to the variable speed. I don't believe it's an simply an off/on switching control.

How's the project coming? Raining here today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts