NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in immediate need of the subframe crossmember.

I was putting everything back together after replacing the transmission and as I was about to put the control arms back in, I noticed the blind nut that holds the front bushing of the control arm had broken loose and was rattling around in the frame.

I don't know if you've ever looked at this close, but the nut is in a completely enclosed box. I don't see any way of getting it back in place short of drilling a hole.

So if you're parting out a car, please let me know ASAP. I need to get this back on the road.

Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm in immediate need of the subframe crossmember.

I was putting everything back together after replacing the transmission and as I was about to put the control arms back in, I noticed the blind nut that holds the front bushing of the control arm had broken loose and was rattling around in the frame.

I don't know if you've ever looked at this close, but the nut is in a completely enclosed box. I don't see any way of getting it back in place short of drilling a hole.

So if you're parting out a car, please let me know ASAP. I need to get this back on the road.

Thanks
You could take it to a machine shop and let them cut an access hole, replace said nut and weld in place. and then weld in the patch. You could do it if you have a grinder/torch and welder. Pretty easy fix and much less work than a subframe. Call around to locate a shop that can help, reassembe the car as much as possible and call a wrecker to tow to shop. most people have towing as part of their auto insurance policy so that should not cost you anything out of pocket.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I did have a friend come over that has welding/grinding equipment and look at it. But I found one locally (from this guy B M Used Euro Parts I've bought other stuff from him. Good guy to deal with) that I'm going to look at tomorrow. At least this way I can replace the sub-frame mounts and easily change the sway bar bushings.

Ed

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks guys.

I did have a friend come over that has welding/grinding equipment and look at it. But I found one locally (from this guy B M Used Euro Parts I've bought other stuff from him. Good guy to deal with) that I'm going to look at tomorrow. At least this way I can replace the sub-frame mounts and easily change the sway bar bushings.

Ed
Make sure to get a good alignment after or you will end up buying tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts