NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story.

I recently scored a Turbo S rear from Andrew Childress' (childress318) part out thread. I asked to make sure that the lights and tow hook cover were intact, and coming with the bumper, and he assured me that everything was in the box and on it's way to the other side of the continent. As you can see here, that's not the case.

I gave him my name and address so that Greyhound knew where it was going. He didn't have my phone number, but he said he gave them his, and he would let me know when they called him when it got to its destination.

I tracked the package more often than probably necessary, and got concerned when it had not moved from Houston, TX in 11 days. I finally called Greyhound to see what was going on, and the woman I spoke to said that the bus it was on never even went through Houston, and that it actually looked like the package had been at my local depot for days. She called the station, and sure enough, it was there and ready for pickup.

This is where it gets good.

The guy at my local Greyhound informed me that this is his 51st year with the company, and that this was the first time that he had gotten a package in, with no contact information at all. He was pretty irate about it. Upon inspecting the box, the only information on it was my name, and Beaufort, SC. No phone number, no mailing address, etc. He was more upset that Phoenix, AZ is Greyhound HQ, and they accepted a package without proper information.

ANYWAY.
Andrew has stopped replying to my PMs, so I'm assuming he lied about the cover, and it's not coming.

So, does anyone have one that they're willing to part with? I know it's more rare than the bumper itself at this point... But I'm not putting the bumper on (and painting it) till I get one... :(

Thanks for reading. Lemme know if you can help.

Trae

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Your gonna be holding onto that bumper for a while then.
Now I am not saying you wont find one, they are out there.
But man, are they hard to find. Took me 3 years to find one.
Good luck.....stay persistent my friend.

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll make one out of metal, fiberglass, or plastic before I wait 3 years. ;)

·
2,646 Posts
I put one up a while back and I think maybe 04TS got mine. If you do find one, do not trust the OE mounting system to keep it on your car.

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Here is the part#: 1co-807-441 cover cap towing eye sport edition

You could always order it from the dealer. Just to let you know; these fall off all the time; so, if you do get one, you might want to secure it in some way with extra fasteners.

1stvwparts.com has it:

CAP
Make: Volkswagen | New Part#: 1C0807441GRU
List Price: $110.32
Your Price: $80.75

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's supposed to be a cover???
Yes, the TS bumper sits 2" or so lower than the bumpers that we have. Therefore, our tow hooks would be blocked, so there is a plastic "cover" that snaps into place on the diffuser, to allow access to the tow hook. And because it was so poorly designed, they were very easy to take off (thieves), and are also known to just plain fall off when they decide they've had enough of this world. So now the cover is essentially more rare than bumper or the diffuser. :(

·
2,646 Posts
Here is the part#: 1co-807-441 cover cap towing eye sport edition

You could always order it from the dealer. Just to let you know; these fall off all the time; so, if you do get one, you might want to secure it in some way with extra fasteners.

1stvwparts.com has it:

CAP
Make: Volkswagen | New Part#: 1C0807441GRU
List Price: $110.32
Your Price: $80.75
You could try this, but last time I read here that someone tried it was a discontinued part. Seems as if they would keep some for accident repairs, but I dunno how long they are required or willing to do that.

·
2,646 Posts
I bought one in the fall from the dealer.
That's great.:thup: I guess if you have a TS, it would be worth the price.
I took mine off, because it was about to fall off and then I mounted a hitch making it not fit anymore. I sold the car w/ the hitch, discovered the cover later and sold it here.
I do miss that car occasionally, but then I think if all that has happened to the vehicles I replaced it with and wonder where it might be anyway: the deer hit:(, the missing manhole cover hit:mad:, 200K miles:eek:--that car is probably better off w/ its' new owners:)!

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The car may be better off with it's new owners, but I sure am glad you found that cover in the closet. It made all those hrs sitting on the Org so much more meaningful. It also makes Floyds butt complete.

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish another closet part out would pop up!

I bought one in the fall from the dealer.
SMG, how was your experience? Was it a big hassle? Were they able get one pretty quickly? And did they say whether or not more were available?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I ordered it with a front tow hook cover, 3 new grilles, 2 new fogs and some brackets and screws, all Turbo S bumper parts and it all came in quickly with no hassle. Usually my parts guy comments about low numbers like in the a few years ago when I bought the last right-hand side Bixenon back cover on the continent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts