1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a few questions for my 2000 5 speed 1.8 turbo beetle
it has about 130,000 miles :eek:

But the other day I went to start it and it did start but it makes a low wuub wuub wuub sound when idling and the the little rmp gauge bounces slightly with the "wuubs". Also the check engine light came on when this happened. I plan on checking the codes later today but any idea what this could be?
Also I bought this car used and I have no idea if the timing belt/water pump have been changed. Could this have something to do with this?
Thanks for any suggestions :]

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Could be a number of things...Dirty air filter, bad MAF, vacume leak, ect...

Get the codes and start from there...

Also, if you have NO HISTORY on when the belt/pump was last done, I'd be looking at doing that ASAP...it would suck to blow your engine...it's not a cheap fix my any means...

Look on here for Timing Belt/ Water Pump kit resources...
Some are Blauparts, FCP Groton, MJM,and ECS...

Call around to some of your local shops to get prices on a TB/WP job...use the dealer as a last restort.

Case in point, my mech charged me 300 bucks to do mine, the dealer wanted close to a grand...

Also, update your info, like where your from...that will help because other members may live close to you and can help w/ Vag-Com, best mechs, ect....

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Hey,

But the other day I went to start it and it did start but it makes a low wuub wuub wuub sound when idling and the the little rmp gauge bounces slightly with the "wuubs". Also the check engine light came on when this happened. I plan on checking the codes later today but any idea what this could be?
Also I bought this car used and I have no idea if the timing belt/water pump have been changed. Could this have something to do with this?

My signature should help you out some :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey,

Not sure about the noise, but I would have someone look at the front motor mount. Have them lift up on the engine from the oil pan and see of the bracket that attaches the front motor mount to the engine is loose. If it is QUICKLY have the bolts replaced with new stretch bolts. and I second the timing belt, the 1.8l if it looses the timing belt is VERY expensive to repair. By the way the frount motor mount is a common issue and cost me $800.00 because I didnt catch it in time, that did include the timing belt and water pump and labor.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey,

Perhaps the previous owner was a Three Stooges fan and liked that Wuub wuub wuub sound :) Hey, I just bought a 2000 Yellow 1.8l Beetle and mine has 156k miles on the clock. The previous owner kept imaculate records and changed the oil ever 4k miles. Timing belt service was done at 75k miles (so I am due again) Car is in great shape except for a 4 inch tear in the rear bumper cover. Someone must have backed up into something. Other than that there is no damage to the car and the interior is in great shape as well. engine and tranny run and shift smooth. The only issue I have is the cooling fans run on High as soon as you turn the ignition. I ordered a few parts and will get that fixed ASAP.

As far as your problem goes, I would remove the plastic engine cover under the hood and take a good look at those small rubber hoses. Because of the Turbo those little cars do get a little HOT underneath the hood and can dryrot and crack hoses over the years. A small vacuum leak can be frustrating. I changed all my hoses to red silicone hoses. Silicone last forever and that is one last thing to worry about. Also check your Diverter Valve to see if it is the updated model. The old ones used to fail all the time and they do make a duck (w00t woot woot) sound that can be mistaken for a wuub wuub wuub sound ;) I would also change the fuel filter if that hasn't been done in a while. A clogged filter could be bad in causing a lean condition.

But as others have suggested have someone with a VAG com scan your vehicle and see what the codes say. That will usually eliminate a lot of guess work and can save you money in the long run. With these cars you can nickle and dime yourself into the poor house real quick.

Have a great day and Good Luck!

Tom in INdy
2000 Yellow Beetle 1.8L
156k miles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts