VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..

I was looking around on ebay and saw these bulbs that people are selling, are they the real deal or just BS?? How hard is a headlights to replace on our NB's??

Thanks!!

George

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
if you break the locking lever is there a way to replace it. i broke mine and i need a replacement to lock my headlight all the way in again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but what abou the Xenon bulbs on ebay, you think they are bunk, they are very cheap. My friend thinks they are just painted bulbs...

·
Me Gusta!
718 Posts
theslag said:
but what abou the Xenon bulbs on ebay, you think they are bunk, they are very cheap. My friend thinks they are just painted bulbs...
Your friend is right...

I bought a set while ago for my 1997 Ford SHO and they had tinted glass on them and the lighting sucked horribly. You'd be better of getting Sylvania SilverStars or Cool Blue if you want better light output. But, if you want really xenons, then check out that open group buy of Prolumen kits in Classifieds forum.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
is there a how to on replacing the bulbs someplace? i have the silverstars sitting in my trunk because i couldn't figure it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
bulb change

OK, look In the engine compartment at the top of the headlight bucket. If its an early New beetle there will be a suit case latch that needs to be unclipped. Next, get two large screw drivers. There is a plastic lever sticking up that is attatched to the slider. In front of the lever there is a small rectangele lock. Push down slightly on the lock, while Pushing the slide lever down towards the ground. If everything goes right the headlight will pop out, as the slide moves about three inches, Usualy it sticks thoughe. It may help to push on the back of the headlight with a long screwdriver while working the slider. once its part way out you can pull on the front of the headlight while working the slider, don't pull on the lens too hard, it may come loose. If the slider breaks the later ones are available & pretty easy to replace. The early ones are no longer available, (last I knew) & you will also have to replace the bucket. Compare the parts closely before leaving the parts dept., as they all look similar. Also don't bend the bucket tin or lock slide won't work properly. The plastic is very fragile, especialy after baking in the engine compartment a few years. It helps to soak everything in silicone spray before going back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts