NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you all have your XM tuners mounted?

Trying to get some good ideas for a creative install...

I have the XM Commander unit, and am trying against all odds to avoid mounting it on the bud vase...

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Are you crafty??? If i was using a Commander i'd mount it into the plate surrounding the sunroof dial. Or if you have the sunglass compartment up there, same thing. Other than that, why not install a very small plate underneath the center console and attach there. The cup holders are pretty much useless anyway.

What's your interior like? I'd love to try to mount a Commander. Sounds like a fun project.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Nice thing about the Commander as opposed to other receivers, even the roady, it applies itself better to car installations. I've seen them seemlessly installed into all kinds of cars and it ends up looking close to factory.

There are ProFit mounts that attach onto the passenger grab bar (see my pics linked below) that work well. If you could get a chuck of sheet metal and put some crafty bends and holes you could do the same for much less. The ProFit mount is about $30.

WIsh you lived in Jersey. I am dying to play crafts with someone's car (and my own).

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My BF has an Audi TT... The Commander was in there, and he had the stereo shop mount it underneath the heater controls, where the ashtray used to be. They removed the ash tray and mounted the Commander beside the lighter plug, and built a little surround thingy and covered it with black vinyl, to match the rest of the console area. It was pretty sweet! Looked factory, to be sure!!

I wanted to do something like that, that blends into the scenery, but I got short arms and it's a bit of a reach down there for me in my NB!! (Yeah... I'm THAT short...) :p I don't want to clutter up the interior - it's the Snap Color Concept, and it's already busy enough in there!!

I like the idea of mounting it up near the sunroof knob...

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
That panel comes off. If you are crafty like that, slowly dremel out the shape of it. You could than maybe glue the edges together. I'm sure it'd work. GOD i want to do it! Too bad my ex stole my dremel too when she left. Ihad all the accessories too.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
pdoel said:
I have a Sirius radio, but same principle. I installed it right behind the cup holders. It's not in the way, and I can still use all three (mostly for storage).

Is your receiver easy to see from there Pete? I could always use the remote but I would think where it is it might be hard to see the screen from there. :confused:

I'm getting my XM soon!! :clap:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Amy, your receiver is kinda about the same size as that Sirius unit there. Me, i'm all knees and would break that where it is. I know Pete likes it there though. Check the site i showed you, myradiostore.com. ALL kinds of mounts...even vent clips.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
FineExampl said:
Amy, your receiver is kinda about the same size as that Sirius unit there. Me, i'm all knees and would break that where it is. I know Pete likes it there though. Check the site i showed you, myradiostore.com. ALL kinds of mounts...even vent clips.
I just looked at your mount and posted on your pic thread. I like that one. The SkyFi2 is the same size as the SkyFi right?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
I just looked at your mount and posted on your pic thread. I like that one. The SkyFi2 is the same size as the SkyFi right?
Same exact size. In fact, if you ever upgrade to SkyFi2 you wouldn't need to change the cradle at all. :goodjob: Just pop the new receiver in!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Is your receiver easy to see from there Pete? I could always use the remote but I would think where it is it might be hard to see the screen from there. :confused:

I'm getting my XM soon!! :clap:
Yup, I can see the display just fine. It can be a bit of a stretch to change channels, but not too bad. It's not a real far reach, but not just right in front of you either. But yeah, the display is easy to see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts