NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have a question about the dip stick. I'm referring to the engine oil dip stick - not the dip stick on the Dukes of Hazzard. I have a 2001 1.8 liter turbo with 85,000 miles.

Last month I check the oil and when I put the dip stick back in the tube it shattered. Seems part of the recieving tube and the cap/cover of the dip stick are made of pastic. I am not a super hero with super strenght. I think the placement of plastic next to a hot engine are the cause of the shattered dip stick. Great engineering!!!

I wrote VW of America to question this design. They told me there were no recalls or service bullitens on my problem.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one to experiece this problem and does anyone know if I can fix it or do I have to take it into the dealer??

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Funny, I just fixed this on my '00 in the past week. ;)

The tube does get brittle after a few years of use. I paid about $8 for it from my dealer, but ECS Tuning has it for around $2.50. However, just to ship the tube by itself would be around $10 total and I needed it pronto...

Mainly you'll need to vacuum out any plastic that may be inside the metal tube. Use a screwdriver to break off the old outside plastic, and wipe it down with a little mineral sprits on a cloth. Once it's all cleaned, pop on the new stick (making sure it also clicks onto the support bracket), and there you go. :)

-Des

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Been through 3 on 2 different NB. VW made the tube out of a plastic that does not do well with long exposures to heat. A new tube should be under $12 from the dealership, if i remember correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts