VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O3 Beetle 2.0 gas, 150,000 miles.

Been fighting AC issues for 2 years, Fix one thing and its another. SO here is the latest.

Start cold car, turn AC on and all runs as normal. Both Fans come on, AC blows cold. After about 1-2 min (very hot in south GA) fans turn off and AC clutch disengages. Then every few seconds with no regular pattern cluch re-engages and fans run, then off again, Not even staying on long enough for the fans to get to speed. car will over heat in traffic loosing all coolant.

I had replaced the Fan control about a year ago with one of the $30 jobs. Also I checked the system pressure with one of the DIY kits from the Auto store. It reads high (red) when starting but creeps down the green then starts to do the on off thing

I was going to replace the fan control again with a better one and the pressure switch. Is there just one switch? Not a high and a low?

This issue seems to have started when we had a new thermostat done. I did not do this job as its my daughters car and she was in another part of the state. I know there should be no connection, but that is the last mechanical work done. Before that it was working fine

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Additional info
- I've addressed the melting fuse block and put in a breaker on the fan lead, the fuse would blow immediately every time the fans came on. Breaker fixed this, still pops occasionally but easy to re-set. Also ran a direct battery cable from the alternator to the main lead on the fuse block, this seems to have eliminated the melting.

- New fans about 1 year ago, like I said they both turn on, but only when compressor runs. Both turn free and easy

- I did the air mix door inside at Christmas, This was HUGHE change in operation for the better. If you are having cold air issues, don't ignore this one!

- Replaced the temp sensor on the cooling system.

- Checked all wires I can get to, took apart all connections and re-fit

- probably noting, but car had gone through some pretty deep mud, dirt road, right op to undercarriage, right about the time the problem started. Was everywhere but washed off pretty quickly.

Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fcm

mine was doing something similar after I put in one of those cheap FCM from an off-brand, ie china stuff from ebay. I went back to an original OEM part and the fans stay running all the time like it should in order for the A/C to work correctly. The condenser needs airflow or the A/C will not stay cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

I replaced both the Pressure switch and the Fan control module, no change in behavior UGH, I'm not sure where to go, I guess I'm going to have to bring it to the shop and see what they say...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts