NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cross-posting these pics from over here in my new-member post, since it seems like the sensible thing to do. I took these with my cellphone yesterday afternoon before it started raining. (North Louisiana is downright tropical this time of year.)

Her name is The Ruby Scarab, and for now she's an awful mess. I just bought her a few weeks ago, and I'm in the process of getting her in good running order before I start working more on the aesthetics. (Though of course I've already given her a bath.) I just thought I'd show off the before pictures as motivation to do something about it. The MAF sensor finally died on me the other day, so I'm waiting for a new one to come in the mail, along with some other neat goodies that I'm sure I'll brag about when I get it all put together.

Here's a wide-angle interior shot. There are rips in the seats, the carpet is irreparably stained. I don't like the beige colour anyway, so my plan to reupholster everything when it's finally good and running justify a colour change. (I'm thinking red & yellow detail on black.)

If you're curious, I'm taking the dash out to fix the blower switch, 'cause this is what I think it wrong with it. We'll see soon enough. (I had to stop when it began raining.)

Here's a slightly better detailed picture of the dash being peeled open. Being reasonably certain I did it right, we'll see how easy it is to get back together.

Here's The Scarab's smile. I do need to fix the front valence and grill; I haven't tried to get it to hold on yet, and the left-side fog light fell off while I was driving to the gas station across the street. It feels like she's got a missing tooth.

And here's me.

(I don't know if personal pics are allowed here; if not, let me know and I'll remove it.)

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In accordance with this thread, I've diagnosed (successfully) that the little flange thingy that comes off of the electronic blower switch -- you know, the little Pac Man shaped thing?

I don't know what it's called. But I certain of how it works because it's common sense.

Anyway, it's this flange thingy. You'll notice that it has that clip that comes up?

The clip that comes up on the flange thingy obviously clips into this Pac Man shaped thing. Easy peasy!

Not so. When I went to clip it in, the plastic half of the clip disintegrated on me.

Not surprising, actually; I know old stuff falls apart sometimes, especially exposed to the elements. The Scarab sat up at the previous owner's house for several months in the Louisiana winter and into the late spring. Hell, the dip stick tube also fell apart on me when I tried to check the oil for the first time. (Hilarious.)

So I'm gonna glue it in there!

Okay, well... so I have glued it in there. I'm using Gorilla Glue Epoxy, which cures quickly and is one of my preferred epoxies for holding tiny things together like this.

Hopefully this will get my blower working again, and I can finally have working AC. I've tested everything between this switch and the compressor, including all of the fuses, even some of the fuses that I later found out had nothing at all to do with the climate control systems at all :D

Wish me luck. I'll update again when I find out if I have to drop $150-250 USD on a new blower switch, since it seems that there's nowhere in the entire world can you buy any singular part of this thing without having to buy the whole thing. Or maybe I'll check a local junk lot.

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long story short... it worked! :D The glue is set, I put the dash back together, the fans turn on!

Unfortunately, with my clutch throw-out bearing rattling and my MAF sensor dead, I can't easily test to see if the AC compressor will actually turn on... but the fans blow in accessory, so that's better than it was before! :D

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Wow that's awesome that you're restoring this NB to its former glory! Have fun and hopefully it's not too expensive/difficult! Keep up with the pics!

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I'm getting in the habit of spending a bit every paycheck getting parts that I might need as well as parts that I obviously do. A new intake gasket just came in the mail today, so now I can take the dirty intake out and clean it off without the fear of cracking the gasket (a fear I've acquired from working on previous cars).

Like I said earlier, I also need a new MAF sensor and there appears to be something going on with the clutch. I don't look forward to pulling the transmission out of it at all.

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Zach, I am so happy you are taking good care of the 15yo New Beetle, the first year of them. I know it will make you happy, as much as we all are happy with our NBs. :)

And, I must say, you are adorable. :wink2:

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Scarab is my baby! When I get it drivable again, I can't wait to do so with the windows up and the AC actually running. It's too hot here in Louisiana to be driving around without even a fan going.

After that I'll be driving it to the shop up to put it on the lift and see what's wrong with my rattling clutch.

(and also :shy:)

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update this thread with the data gathered over here, replacing the MAF sensor doesn't appear to have fixed anything. There might not have been anything wrong with it yet, but considering how dirty and gross the old one was, I don't guess I feel too bad replacing it. At least I know I shouldn't have to replace it again for a while in the future.

Old MAF sensor, boo! New MAF sensor, yay!

However, looking at what jfoj said back in the thread that I started about this, and doing some research into it, it seems exceedingly possible that I need a new [url="http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0261210147-Crank-Position-Sensor/dp/B00199N5LW/"[/url]Crank Position Sensor[/url], and I'll be doing another once-over for vacuum leaks.

The intake looks a bit dirty but I don't think I have any leaks there (but I've already got a gasket for it so I can pull the intake out without the fear of breaking the gasket and I can at least clean it off), and if the new crank sensor doesn't help, I'll trailer her out to the shop to put her on the lift, and I'll check out the fuel pump.

(While she's up on the lift I'll put on my new bank 1 O₂ sensor, since that may also be holding her back.)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Looks like you have yourself a nice little car. Glad you are fixing it up! I loved my '99 2.0 5-speed <3

Looks like you may have a GLS, or an optioned GL. You have fogs and power windows. I had a GL, which is the base trim, on my '99 and had no fogs and crank windows (yes, crank windows!).

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slowly but surely!

On a whim the other day, I started the Scarab up to see if she'd stabilize... and she did. Miraculously. I'm not sure at all why or how. However, I'm having weird electrical issues now, and she's running really rough. And she smells funny.

And oh yeah the coolant light came on. So I might have burnt something up? Maybe the thermostat? And/or also the radiator? I don't look forward to dismantling the first 15% of the car just to get to the radiator to patch/replace it, if that is indeed what I have to do.

In the meantime, her new O₂ sensor came in the mail yesterday so soon I'll be putting her up on the ramps and changing that out. Maybe that'll fix some of the problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts