VW Beetle Forum banner

Toad ~ 1999 Red 2.0

29K views 210 replies 53 participants last post by  gallitos17 
#1 · (Edited)
Toad Θ 1999 Θ Uni Red Θ 2.0 Θ GLS

His Name is Chester, i got him the 2nd of June 2003.

Recently he told me he'd rather go by the name Sprockets. I dunno if that's what he wants to be called now, or if it's just a rather cool nickname.

Mods:
Drivability:
Techtonics 266 cam
Techtonics dual valve springs
K&N Panel Filter
Bosch Platnum spark plugs
Macnacor 8.5mm plug wires
Snowbox-ectamy
Bugmod CAI
Dieselgeek skid plate
Yarrowsport Mk4 Pendulum mount
Turbo S Seats
B&M Short Shift
Sparco X-Speed shift knob
MK4 Wolfsburg Jetta parking brake handle
Euroswitch
Rear Fog Light
Scangauge 3-in-1 Auto Computer

Looks:
Blue painted headlights - Thanks Fowvay
Black Fog light Grill
Kamei rear valence
Doubyelbug deal pedal
2005 Style "11-spoke" wheels (do they have a name?)
Bugstuff Black door handle gaurds
Bugstuff Black leather door grab handle covers
Retro Black rocker panels
Hand-made maroon shift boot (kinda doenst match anything, but i made it myself)
Black painted center console
Alientech steering wheel spokes
TVA Amber Fog light covers
GTS "Mean" style eyelids
Red mud flaps
Red/clear factory style tail lights
Euro OEM front clears
APC rear sides with red LEDs
Clogan customs front Bra and mirror bras
honda s2000 antenna
Blue vinyl inserts in the VW badges
Audiobahn chrome speaker grills in front and on subs
Blue lights in bud vase,
inside rear panes to light up ABF flames,
mounted under the dash aimed at AMD60's,
and in the trunk.
custom made speeding beetle sticker

Sound:
Clarion HX-D10 Limited edition HU with 24-bit DAC:cowbell:
Clarion CD changer
Apple iPod shuffle - "the Bloody Tampon"
Directed:
DV1700 DVD/VCD/MP3 Player
Power Accoustic:
PT-569MSV video monitor
Audiobahn:
AEQ7 equilizer
A2401Q amp (sub 100 RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms)
A4601Q amp (front 105 RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms; rear 75 RMS x2 @ 4 ohms)
AMD60 mid-basses in doors
AT67 tweeters in the a-pillars
ABF26Q 2-ways in rear
ACAP05 capacitor
AKIT4Q amp kit
AC204Q rca wires
A100BKRQ circuit breaker
Visionik:
VBB 210 dual 10" subs

The first pic is 2 years old when I first got him, the 2nd pic I took down at Ocean City, MD at H2O, and the 3rd pic is on route 105 in Lakeville, MA.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Werll, after the demand for more pics. Here's the Top picks from the old thread.

First off, the older "more stock looking" pictures.

Attachments

#5 ·
Here's more pics.

Circa 2005 OSD Dust off - 2005 3rd annual Whitewall Park g2g, and when I got my kich the cheat doll!

The first pic includes a glimpse if The Cheat's very new and very stock Jenna! And JerryN's bug (where is he now?).

Attachments

#6 ·
And now the more recent stuff.

Circa the first 2005 Berea g2g till before the Dagball.

Attachments

#7 ·
Here's the pics I took of my dagballin' adventure to Ocean City for H2Oi with the Dubaudi gruppe.
I took some gorup and action shots, but they look pretty bad, so I wont post them.

Attachments

#9 ·
He deserved it, even if he was underaged. He was my navigator the whole way, as you can see, he spent alotta time on the passenger seat, and under my hood. Having him on the seat while driving was definately some sorta metaphor for you, i know you really wanted to come.

#10 ·
Toad said:
He deserved it, even if he was underaged. He was my navigator the whole way, as you can see, he spent alotta time on the passenger seat, and under my hood. Having him on the seat while driving was definately some sorta metaphor for you, i know you really wanted to come.
Thanks bro. :) I'd have done the same for you if it was the other way around. :)

You better come tomorrow. :)

#11 ·
Here's a shot of the engine mount. And yeah, the underside of my engine is pretty dirty, but it's got plenty of protection.

I'll give rides to anyone who wants some of my car's grumblecakes. (yeah, that's a h*r refernce)

Attachments

#15 ·
You have done a great job with your New Beetle! I love it! :party:

#17 ·
Chester or Sprockets is looking better than ever. Very nice. I've been wondering about that big vinyl sticker on the side of your car. I like it. (obviously I am a big fan of vinyl graphics)

Did you forget to mention your cool rims in your mods list?

That engine mount, is that a replacement for the dogbone mount? That's stiff! Do you get much vibration in the car or steering wheel with that? Must be able to do one mean burnout!

Keep up the good work.

#18 ·
Sukhoidave said:
Chester or Sprockets is looking better than ever. Very nice. I've been wondering about that big vinyl sticker on the side of your car. I like it. (obviously I am a big fan of vinyl graphics)
The big vynyl stiver is from the dubaudi.com Dagball from Providence to Maryland, for H2Oi 2005 (as to why i wasn't at rich's 2nd g2g cuz it was on the same weekend)
Sukhoidave said:
Did you forget to mention your cool rims in your mods list?
I didn't really think another set of factory 16"s really was a mod, but that's just py opinion. If i added that, should i say i run mobil 1 oil and filter, and use mobil or shell 87 octane gas with cehveron fuel treatment every few thousand miles?
Sukhoidave said:
That engine mount, is that a replacement for the dogbone mount? That's stiff! Do you get much vibration in the car or steering wheel with that? Must be able to do one mean burnout!
The car grubles at idle, the first time my dad drove it after i got it, he told me the muffler fell off :lol:, so it's pretty loud and it shakes the car good, but it's a great way to get a massage, and the shifiting is just stellar! But you'd have to maybe be as crazy as me to use it in a daily driver. It's a "race" mount and it really does make the car feel like a race car, cuz you can feel every little thing the engine does. And I've got a golden knob (on the radio) that allows me to adjust how much of it i want to hear :D.

I've never done a burnout (except once when i got the car and had the old mxv4's that were balding so i didn't care), i really have no intention to ever want to do that with my car, ahthough i almost did at H2O, and i do squeal the tires alot taking nice turns and shiftin to 2nd.
Sukhoidave said:
Keep up the good work.
Other than the great vibration, the car still drives like it just rolls off the lot. And I must say, is very preppy for a 2.0 (it might all be in my head) but i'm nearing 90k on the clock, and i know i'm on borrowed time with the timing belt and clutch (and well alot of other things).

#19 ·
Toad said:
I didn't really think another set of factory 16"s really was a mod, but that's just py opinion. If i added that, should i say i run mobil 1 oil and filter, and use mobil or shell 87 octane gas with cehveron fuel treatment every few thousand miles?

Your thread - your opinion. I thought of them as a modification cause they are not the wheels that came with the car. You chose them cause you thought they would look better and they do! That other stuff, oil and all that, would be lame to list with your mods.

#20 ·
Spent the day over at Justin's humble abode, and got the B&M shifer installed with minimal blood loss, and slight brain use.

But the effect is un-beleiveable, this short shift coupled wit hthe solid engine mount makes it feel like the shifter itself is coming right out of the tranny, it really is that solid.

Justin will most likey chime in with his opinions, and now, i've gotta run.

Attachments

#21 ·
OK, I just got back from the shore where I cleared some codes on a 99.5 Golf 2.0 stock. The difference is 1000% better. Toad's car feels like a car should, with direct shifts, even though the clutch is worn. It took us about an hour or so to do, and half of that was figuring out where the reverse spring retaining clip was supposed to go. :O) I can reccomend this mod for any 98-99 owner as it's an unbelievably good thing for $120. Your car will drive that much better. Now, I'm off to scrape together some more money to buy Growler...

#22 ·
The Cheat said:
I can reccomend this mod for any 98-99 owner as it's an unbelievably good thing for $120.
That's gonne be hard to do, yes I did buy it for $120 from mid america's new beetle clearence sale, but they dont list it anymore on thier website, so they must be sold out of them.

But, it's still 1000% better than stock, my only complaint so far is that the bottom of the rod doesnt have the plastic cover of the stock one, so instead of shifing out of reverse without having to push down, you have to push back down to get it out of reverse. It's just a slight change of habit, but that's all.

#23 · (Edited)
Here are more pictures i took today. I tidied up the shift boot a bit (it's actually a whole different one, but same material) and yes, i do like the bulbously huge boot look. Also i finally got some shots of the HU.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
The miracle of today's snow. Here's a nice shot of the snow i drove around in today. And most importantly, my outside temp sensor magically works again. I hadda remove my battery today to get to the reverse switch on the tranny cuz my reverse light died out about a week after i did my rear fog, so i replaced the switch, and the reverse light still didn't work, that switch was after checking the bulb, socket, and fuse. But my outside temp came back! I've been missing that since the accident. Also showin off the dvd screen, with the video shot by MattP on the DAGball 2005, that was a freakin blast, anyone who goes to H2O should dagball, it's just awesome. There's nothin like paying a nice windows down warm fall video when it's below freezing.

Attachments

#25 ·
gilligan said:
Toad where did you get those rear mudflaps, they look hot.
I got the red mudflaps at Volksfest this year. They are just regular mudflaps pre-painted red. The dealer that was there was closing out alot of thier accessories and i got htem hella cheap. They sometimes show up on eBay pre-painted. But the regular midflaps are easy enogth to paint. Altho these red ones dont have the same texture the black ones i had had on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.