VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Turbo S: Who needs mods??
159 Posts
Dude... that's awesome! So was that sound deadening material glued down to the floor pan? How easy was it to pull up? Did you replace it with different material or did you just lay the carpet back down? If so, is the road noise much louder? OK, done with 20 questions... :D

· same bug since 01!
70 Posts
PostO said:
Dude... that's awesome! So was that sound deadening material glued down to the floor pan? How easy was it to pull up? Did you replace it with different material or did you just lay the carpet back down? If so, is the road noise much louder? OK, done with 20 questions... :D

It was not glued down, its...form fitted so it was just a matter of getting the carpet outta the way and pulling...pretty easy. The super crappy part is, without taking your whole dash off you cannot get it all. it goes all the way up and under the dashboard, past the steering wheel. So I removed about 90% of it. I did replace it, I'm not sure you could get away just putting the carpet back down. I'm not sure about the Bug, but most cars get pretty hot underneath. I would have preferred to use dynamat but it is very pricey. Instead I went with a lower cost generic replacement. I only used one layer, but for more sound deadening you could use two. (Its not that much more noisy now that it was before, but I do notice a little difference) I duct tapped it into place. On the downside I did replace the carpet. I tried steam cleaning the old stuff, febreezing it, and letting it air out for several days but the crayon smell was just too strong. I found some replacement stuff on ebay for around 80 bucks.

I'm happy to answer any questions - this was a big deal for me and I know how annoying the smell can be.

· Turbo S: Who needs mods??
159 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The smell to me is horrendous as well. I'm surprised so many people love it on here.

One of these days I'll tackle this job. The smell tends to reappear during the summer months when it gets hot. I don't smell it right now. Is the replacement carpet as good quality as OEM? I'm afraid I may have to replace mine as well.

· same bug since 01!
70 Posts
PostO said:
Thanks for the reply. The smell to me is horrendous as well. I'm surprised so many people love it on here.

One of these days I'll tackle this job. The smell tends to reappear during the summer months when it gets hot. I don't smell it right now. Is the replacement carpet as good quality as OEM? I'm afraid I may have to replace mine as well.
I was really surprised so many people like it too, it drove me nuts.

The carpet I ordered was out of a 00 beetle, so it was already molded. I highly recommend going this route. Taking apart the entire interior is already a hassle, you won't want to mess with un-molded carpet. I did mine over about 2 weeks, but I own 3 cars so it wasn't a big deal. If you were going to do it, you'd want to allot 2-4 hours depending on how mechanically inclined you are. If you are really interested in doing it I could probably write up a 'step by step'.

· BUG THIS
566 Posts
sourmash said:
There is a funny smell in my 2001 NB GLS TDI that has been there since practically new. When you first get in the car it kind of smells like melted crayola crayons....and no there haven't been any crayons in the car. Does anyone elses NB have this same mystery smell...and where might it be coming from? Just wanted to see if mine was normal ;)
mine does

· same bug since 01!
70 Posts
Dont be surprised, esp. with the summer months coming if the smell returns. Welcome to the forum, tons of great people and tons of great information!

· I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
aww.. I love the crayon smell... :heart:

it smells like orange crayons because I have an orange air freshener on the vent.

I had a friend who said her friend's BMW smelled the same way, but not as nice.

· Good-bye Curby...
8,806 Posts
I have the crayon smell. I don't even notice, but my boyfriend always does. Worse in the summer, for sure.

I don't mind the smell at all.

· Registered
168 Posts
oh i know what you mean. i live in texas which the majority of the time has hot, humid weather. the smell does seem to intensify in the heat and does somehow permeate every type of fabric. even my 10 month old daughter smells like crayons when she comes out. lol. i've kinda learned to live with it and it's just Red's scent. I just had an accident and he's away being fixed so I will say this, I do smell some of my daughter's baby blankets that were in the back seat because it makes me think of him. lol. It's just their "natural scents." :)

· aka the Volkswagen Fairy
210 Posts
Happy Crayon Smell

I too noticed the smell of crayons when I first embarked in Bella. It is such a happy smell from childhood. No matter how old you get, if you open up a box of Crayola Crayons they smell the same as they did when you were a kid. It is the Happy Crayon Smell. It cheers me up too.

Reenie

· vdUbing
96 Posts
Mine smelled so strong when i first got it. I thought if i looked on the road I would be leaving a blue crayon line behind me. :D I for one love the smell. Its not too strong. Its nice. After nine years i still get a sniff of it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Solution!!!!

So I decided to get to the bottom of this crayon smell once and for all. I had already taken my drivers seat out to replace the set belt clip and figured I'd just go the extra mile. After taking the seat out I was able to slice off a little piece of the sound deadening pad thats under the carpet, and sure enough, it was the problem! Took me about an hour to take apart the center console and the passenger and back seat. Took me about 35 or 40 minutes to pull up the carpet/take out the sound barrier. If you mechanically inclined at all and have a few hours you could easily handle this job. I have the seats airing out in the garage and the windows down in the car to get rid of any lingering odor. If anyone wants more details, let me know. I could post some sort of instruction guide. Of if you live in the St.Louis metro area bring it by and we can gut it together! :)

Do you have any additional photos of this project?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.