NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the post on the Dorman repair kit for the PCV/Oil Separator diaphragm. The local dealer was speechless when this solution was offered. The recommended $500+ repair to replace the valve cover in its entirety on the 2.5L motor left the service advisor in awkward silence.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey, it is worth the price; it was a easy install and didn't take much time to do (I did it on a 2.5L Jetta). At first; it might a take a bit for the diaphragm to "break in" but should start working as it should after driving around a day or so. Typically, there is hesitation, stumbling and a trouble code, this clear the problems up for the owner of the Jetta, after a bit of a "break in" period. I have read; other people, saying that these don't last... I guess, like everything YMMV (your mileage may vary). However, considering; how inexpensive, the repair kit is... compared to a whole new valve cover, I would give it a shot! :) If you do this; please give us some feedback, so others can benefit from your experience! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There are some reports; of this kit not lasting long (some claim failure after 4 months installed). Whether this is a durability issue (many claim the diaphragm is thinner than the original) or not installed correctly; is up for debate. Replacing the whole valve cover is always a option; right now, the cover seems to be selling for less than $150 and then whatever labor costs are or install it yourself.

Deutsche Auto Parts; has good troubleshooting info and a install video as well:

The PCV Valve on the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine is built into the valve cover assembly. The complete valve cover should be replace if your PCV diaphragm tears. Below we have listed a group of possible symptoms to help you determine if this could be the problem with your vehicle.

The tearing of the 2.5 PCV valve may cause the following symptoms
• Rough or erratic Idle
• Fault Code P2279 - Intake Air Leak Detected
• Fault Code P0507 - Idle Speed Faster than Normal
• You can verify that this is your issue by attempting to remove the oil cap while the engine is running. If you cannot or it is very difficult this is likely to be your issue. This happens because when the diaphram for the PCV valve inside the valve cover tears, it allows intake manifold vacuum inside the valve cover causing suction on the oil cap.

https://deutscheautoparts.com/07k103469l-vw-2-5-valve-cover.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
We've got a 2006 NB Convertible 2.5L. Where is the PCV valve on this car? Quick look under the hood didn't reveal where the PCV valve was located. Is it on the underside of the valve cover?

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
re: 2.5L PCV valve failure solutions from Dorman!

Well, the pcv is under a round plastic black cover (remove the engine cover):; near the oil filler cap.

A "hard reset";; is just removing pos/neg battery cables, touching them together for 30 seconds and reinstalling them, back on the battery.

Check out this video for more info: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7wXBW28Tj8

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
I contacted Dorman; to see if they had any install instructions, apparently they don't (go figure). Here is the process; according to the support guy I was chatting with online, I hope this is helpful for those, attempting this repair.

NOTE: the repair, DOES NOT; require removal of the valve cover or gasket, it can be completed in situ (in place).

1. you unclip the old pcv cover off the valve cover

2. then pull the diaphragm out and replace with the new one

3. then line the notches up and snap the new PCV cover onto the valve cover.

repair completed!

If anyone; has anymore questions for Dorman, you can chat with their very helpful support reps here:

M-Th 8am-7pm; Fri 8-5pm EST

Dorman Products
I know this thread is a bit old but, I find myself needing some information. Does anyone have first-hand feed back on removing the old PCV? With the clips/area being plastic I'm afraid I may end up breaking a part of the valve cover and having to replace the whole valve cover. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did this yesterday. Works great easy install. Stealership wanted $450.00 for new valve cover and pcv assembly. Said they don't make just the PCV.. Oh yes they do. $60.00.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
pgpd324, let us know; if it fixed your problem, there seems to be some reports that people had to end up replacing the valve cover anyway, for a long term fix (Dorman quality; not quite good enough). Although; at the cheap price and ease of installation; I think, it is worth a try! Where did you buy the kit; for $60? Most sources online; seem to be in the $20-$30 range.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am glad; to hear, it worked out for you! :) Please, keep us in the loop; on this Dorman repair kit, long term. Some, have had it work for a period of time (months) and then, had the valve fail but then again, we tend to hear about the "fails" and not the positive, successful repair stories. There has been some criticism; that the Dorman replacement part is not the same quality or better, than the stock part. In the case of failure; the next step, was to replace the whole valve cover assembly, a part directly from VW. It looks like; until someone revises the part or makes a improvement, the issue maybe something that will have to be replaced or repaired a number of time, over the life cycle of the vehicle. Maybe, the aftermarket; will come up with a new/revised part, over time.

If it fails; keep in mind; that Dorman, has a limited lifetime warranty, so it maybe eligible for a lifetime replacement. Contact Dorman; for details and let us know, what they say if you do. Thanks! :)

PS: the more feedback we get from; "real world use", the more realistic recommendations, we can give to people with this issue! :) Ultimately, I think the goal; is to find reasonably priced and solid repair solutions; to keep our cars on the road! Hopefully, this Dorman kit; is one of them!

:runnethov

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the feedback; it is good to hear, that people are having positive results with this repair kit. If it fails on you; please let us know and I think Dorman, has a limited lifetime warranty; that might cover, a replacement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take care with DORMAN 917-064 replacement, and fitting this valve cover properly is difficult. The two metal retaining rings that may have been present to hold the spring in place are not necessary, I have found. If you cannot get a proper seal, as I could not, then using rubber valve sealant around the edges of the cover could help. It worked for me. To test the seal, start the engine and place your palm against the valve cover, pressing gentle. If a hissing sound comes and goes as you press inwards with your hand, the valve is not seated properly. Viel Gluck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dorman PCV Kit - O'Leary Auto

Just bought the PCV kit for 2009 2.5 New Beetle Convertible and I was surprised that they give a lifetime warranty with purchase....cool deal!

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Another small company; is making a similar kit, called RKXTech. Some have complained about the durability of the Dorman kit, maybe this one is better and more durable?

RKX VW 2.5L Engine Valve Cover PCV Valve Diaphragm Assembly

$24.95 USD $35.95 USD

RKX 2.5L PCV valve repair kit

The RKX PCV valve is designed to be the MOST durable 2.5L PCV valve on the market!

Includes all needed parts to rebuild the 2.5L valve cover PCV assembly.

VW & Audi do not sell this kit as a spare part. They want you to replace the entire cover!

Our custom injection molded seals are made from military grade Fluorocarbon (Viton) and designed to hold up under the extreme conditions of your engine.

Rebuilding your PCV assembly is cost effective and easy!

Advantages of rebuilding the PCV assembly:

- Cost savings

-Higher quality and thicker material to maximize lifespan

- Retain high quality OEM valve cover (cheap aftermarket valve covers are known to warp and cause oil leaks)

Includes:

PCV Diaphragm

PCV Cover

Spring Guide

Applications:

Volkswagen

Beetle: 2006 - 2014

Jetta: 2005 - 2014

Passat: 2012 - 2014

Rabbit / Golf: 2006 - 2014

Engine Codes:

CBUA, CBTA, CEPA, CEPB, BPS, BPR BGP, BGQ

https://www.rkxtech.com/products/rkx-vw-2-5l-valve-cover-pcv-valve-diaphragm-assembly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone tried this product?

Another small company; is making a similar kit, called RKXTech. Some have complained about the durability of the Dorman kit, maybe this one is better and more durable?

RKX VW 2.5L Engine Valve Cover PCV Valve Diaphragm Assembly

$24.95 USD $35.95 USD

RKX 2.5L PCV valve repair kit

The RKX PCV valve is designed to be the MOST durable 2.5L PCV valve on the market!

Includes all needed parts to rebuild the 2.5L valve cover PCV assembly.

VW & Audi do not sell this kit as a spare part. They want you to replace the entire cover!

Our custom injection molded seals are made from military grade Fluorocarbon (Viton) and designed to hold up under the extreme conditions of your engine.

Rebuilding your PCV assembly is cost effective and easy!

Advantages of rebuilding the PCV assembly:

- Cost savings

-Higher quality and thicker material to maximize lifespan

- Retain high quality OEM valve cover (cheap aftermarket valve covers are known to warp and cause oil leaks)

Includes:

PCV Diaphragm

PCV Cover

Spring Guide

Applications:

Volkswagen

Beetle: 2006 - 2014

Jetta: 2005 - 2014

Passat: 2012 - 2014

Rabbit / Golf: 2006 - 2014

Engine Codes:

CBUA, CBTA, CEPA, CEPB, BPS, BPR BGP, BGQ

https://www.rkxtech.com/products/rkx-vw-2-5l-valve-cover-pcv-valve-diaphragm-assembly

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think, one other member; mentioned, they went with the RXTECH kit, rather then the Dorman. The assumption being; that it is better made and they seemed to indicate, the install went fine. Aside, from that; we haven't heard much feedback on the RXTECH kit but we have on the Dorman kit.

Some have said, the Dorman kit's included "diaphragm" to be a little on the "thin" side and some, have reported them failing. After install issues, have been reported as well but installer error or the parts not being perfectly sealed/aligned, is a possibility. Some say, the included spring in the Dorman kit; to not fit correctly and to reuse the original spring with satisfactory results.

Lastly, the Dorman DOES has a lifetime warranty; that is listed on the Dorman website, so, technically, I guess you could keep installing new warranted kits forever but if it keeps failing on you, that would be frustrating. The other option; would be replacement of the whole valve cover with a new one and then, it will fail again.

Before buying the RXTECH kit; you might just email them or give them a call. Ask about the product; how it is an improvement over the stock/Dorman version and have them tell you about their success with the product and see if they have had any "comebacks" from customers. The company founder, says he was a former German car tech and the hope, would be he has done the proper research, r/d and testing, to make a solid product. At this point, we don't have enough feedback; to give you a "definitive" answer, maybe contact him, to see what he says.

Be sure, to report back; anything he says, what you decide to do and you install/experiences with the repair kit! This type of info, can help; the next person, decide, which repair kit to purchase! Thanks! :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts